Problem Item reports and the Annual Batch deletion process
Problem Item reports are run each November and May for items with “Problem Item” statuses assigned at least one year prior to the report date. These reports allow each library to keep track of all items that have “problem” statuses and to take appropriate action on these items according to their local policy. Items that appear on the May reports but are not resolved will be batch deleted in July, as part of the Annual Batch Deletion process.
Libraries should have internal workflows/procedures for dealing with items with these problem statuses. Here are some examples. This list is not exhaustive:
• Were broken items mended?
• Were replacement parts ordered?
• Did patron pay for damages?
• Were magazines with Current Issue/No CKO status correctly updated?
• Were items marked as In Processing correctly checked in?
• Do patrons with Lost + Charge items need to be reminded about payment?
The Problem Item [PI] Reports for November 2013, for items with (problem) statuses** assigned November 2012 and older, are:
• PI: Missing, etc. (Missing, Trace, Missing Inventory, Lost in Transit). Report posted to the Reports Calendar.
• PI: Damaged. Report posted to the Reports Calendar.
• PI: Lost (Lost + Charge, Lost & Paid for). Report emailed to the Director of each library, not posted on the Reports Calendar.
• PI: Not Lost (AV Repair, Defect Reported, Mending, Part Missing). Report posted to the Reports Calendar.
**Claims Returned reports are run monthly and posted to the Reports Calendar.
**Not for Loan reports (In Processing, Current Issue/No CKO, Unavailable, Bindery) reports are run monthly and are posted to the Reports Calendar.
UPDATE - ONLY items with a status of Lost and Paid for, Missing, Trace, Missing Inventory, Lost in Transit and Damaged are currently slated to be included in the next annual batch deletion (July 2014).
Items with a status of Lost + Charge are NOT included in the Annual Batch deletion. Deleting items with this status removes the Item hyperlink from the patron record, which breaks the link to pertinent item information, like title, barcode and owning library. Libraries need to review these items and the attached patron records on an individual basis.
Items marked Claims Returned, AV Repair, Defect Reported, Mending, In Processing, Parts Missing and Not for Loan (In Processing, Current Issue/No CKO, Unavailable, Bindery) are not included in the annual batch deletion.