Have you ever had one of those days ...? The patron has looked for their item on the hold shelf, you've looked, a couple of co-workers checked the shelves as well and ... it's just not there!
The ILS Policy for Items that go missing from your hold Shelf is as follows:
If items go missing from a library’s hold shelf, the item should be checked out to that library’s “Missing Hold Shelf” card. Follow the procedure in the Circulation Manual, Section IX Placing and Managing Holds, Part M. Items Missing from your Hold Shelf.
Approved by ILS Committee; 3/7/2012
Here's the procedure from the above cited section of the Circulation Manual:
Procedure for checking items out to your library's Hold Shelf card.
Item has been checked in at your library and placed on the hold shelf for a patron. If the patron and staff members are unable to locate the item when the patron is trying to check the item out OR when you run your daily Holds Queue report and the item that lapsed on the hold shelf is not on the hold shelf, follow these steps:
- Check the item out to your library's Hold Shelf card.
- Re-queue the patron’s hold as necessary.
- If the item is found, it will be checked in eventually, either to fill a hold or when it is received at the owning library. If this is the case, the process of checking the item in will remove the item from your library’s Hold Shelf card.
- If the item is not found and the item Lost Status converts to Lost, your library becomes a“patron”with a lost item on its account. You will need to reimburse the owning library for the lost item, within 6 months of the date the item converted to Lost.
- Some libraries change the due date to 5 months from the date of checking the item out to their Hold Shelf. If your library does this, be prepared to pay the owning library for the lost item within one(1) month of the items converting to lost, in order to reimburse the owning library within the 6 month period.